A dictionary of synonyms
Shortlisted for British Council UK ELT Innovation Award
A dictionary of synonyms and opposites that helps learners of English distinguish between similar words and use them correctly.
- ISBN: 978-0-19-475200-8
No two words are exactly the same. The Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus groups words with similar meanings and explains the differences between them. It helps students find the right words so they can say exactly what they mean when both speaking and writing. Students can also explore the entire Thesaurus on the interactive CD-ROM.
Il Pack contiene:
- Over 17,000 synonyms and opposites are explained
- Alphabetical and topic index make it easy to find the word you are looking for
- 16 study pages focus on different topics with exam-style exercises
- Unique topic maps bring together subject-related vocabulary
- 9-page Trainer helps users make the best use of the Thesaurus
- CD-ROM with complete Thesaurus and over 250 practice games and activities
The Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus enables students to understand the differences between similar words in written and spoken English.
How? Well, each entry has a group of 3-10 near synonyms. Each synonym in the group is clearly explained in terms of meaning, grammar, and register plus an example sentence showing how it is used.
There are even notes which highlight and explain synonyms that are particularly close in meaning or easily confused, to help students make the right choice.
For example, it will help students understand the differences between familiar words such as easy and simple while learning words they may not know such as effortless, painless, and plain sailing.
All in all the Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus helps students find the right words so they can say exactly what they mean and makes their writing worth reading because they have a richer vocabulary to draw on.